Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Surprise! Some pictures!

So being sick has its advantages sometimes.. I was able to get some pictures uploaded since the doctor didn´t want me traveling with the group to Honduras today.. Here´s a few from our weekend trip and then our service week in the mountains. Enjoy!

Keepin it real during our Clausura - or final presentation - for our Spanish class.

We thought it´d be cute to take a friend picture under the sign : )

Dad, doesn´t it look like they had a mold of this and then just poured foam in? I thought so..

We didn´t seat on the monuments..

Here´s me, standing in front of a really huge ancient Mayan temple in Tikal.

And here´s me, squishing a really small ancient Mayan temple in Tikal.

My friend and I, we´re silly. (And we miss KT Rod)

Look at the pretty sunset from our hotel in Flores!

My host brothers during our Community Learning week in Alta Vera Paz - from front to back: Roberto (3yrs), Pedro (9yrs), and Oscar (5 yrs).

A view of the valley of Semesche (town in Alta Vera Paz where we served for a week).

Lisa! Here´s the steps your cross cultural helped build 3 years ago in front of the Mennonite church in Semesche.


If you look to the right of the big mountain on the left, you can see the Mennonite church way in the distance. This particular day we hiked from beyond that church back there, to where I am standing, to fill bags with dirt for planting trees. Everything is hills and mountains, at high altitudes, so the hiking is not easy!

Here´s a view of my host house from the road. It´s pretty hard to see but it´s towards the upper left corner. The fields and pond belong to my host family I believe. The two really tiny buildings in front of the house are the outhouses..

Here´s the bedroom room.. the family put up a curtain for us to sleep behind (and change behind). We sat all our bags on that table in the middle. There´s corn hanging from the rafters and then also an upper level over half the house where they store all their other corn. The floors were dirt and you can see from the walls it´s just wooden boards with lots of cracks for the cold to get in.

This is the kitchen and dining room and parent´s bedroom. We all sat around that fire in the mornings and evenings to warm up and to watch the women make tortillas (and we helped too).

A cute picture of my host brother Roberto... always had a runny nose :

2 comments:

  1. shout out heyooo! <3<3<3 nice pic-a-lics. you're wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh the steps! they look awesome and the church looks a bit different but how exciting! I hope you are finding ways to truly appreciate the time you had there in spite of the sickness acquired there! love you

    ReplyDelete