Friday, February 20, 2009

Truth is...

Truth is...
...coming into this semester I was expecting a great life changing event that I´d come away from with a new passion or a new confirmation that I should keep studying photography and ESL or that I would learn something completely new about myself. And maybe I will.. but probably not until I´m looking back on it. And that´s ok.
...I have seen a lot of new things that have at least challenged my way of looking at things or how I´ve always believed what I´ve been told in History about the US which really isn´t the WHOLE story.
...I´ve gotten a lot more attached to Ixi and Pablo than I thought I would. I knew the time would fly and I would only be here for a little. And I wasn´t trying to put up a wall of defense or not get close to them.. I just didn´t feel like we´d hit it off at the beginning. But slowly, without even realizing it, I´ve grown to love them and the thought of leaving in one week is CRAZY. I´m glad she works at CASAS so I will still see her every time we come back through there..
...the people I´ve encountered here have opened their homes to me and accepted me and loved me just as I am, without knowing hardly anything about me. And that is powerful.
...We´re only 44 days done out of 100, and it feels like it´s been forever, and I kinda wish I could take a jet plane home for a weekend.
...I knew there was a chance of getting sick off the food but I always assumed it wouldn´t happen to me. Well, I just got pretty sick last night and today, I think food poisoning, and that made me really miss my mom.
...this is probably the hardest cross-cultural academic wise out of all of them at EMU.. and part of that might be our leaders. I used to resent this and complain about all the work, because it is an enormous amount. But now, I feel confident that somehow it will all get done in the end, and even if I am stressed, I will appreciate all I was required to do later on.
...sometimes it feels like we´re getting so many new experiences and so much information that it´s just all bouncing around my head and I don´t know how to process it all. For this reason, I think I will have a lot of processing to do when I get back home.
...I´m looking forward to traveling to the other countries in a week but not to living out of a small duffel bag for a month with limited internet and laundry access. This will be a stretching experience.
...(for the Grosh family) on Valentine´s day I ended up playing air hockey and pool with my host mom´s brother and his girlfriend. The dancing and drinking would have been later in the night, in Antigua, but even they didn´t end up going then. Phew!
...it´s hard being away from my family and friends, but I think it´s been good for me to have been stripped of my physical support system and been forced to rely more on God and the prayers of those back home, rather than their physical presence.
...I´ve still been able to entertain my OCD habits of plucking my eyebrows every 2 days, and counting things. I don´t know what I´d do if I couldn´t.
...I´m excited for what the rest of this trip holds and I thank you all for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. I need em!

Feel free to send emails ANY TIME! I love hearing about things back home.
I hope that everyone is healthy, safe, and happy.
With love,
Lindsey



The lake at Santiago Atitlan, where our group went for a weekend.

Sweet pants Amy and I bought in Santiago Atitlan that are really comfortable. I had my rolled up cause of dusty roads.


Our spanish class singing a spanish love song to Loren and Pat Swartzendruber - the president of EMU who came to visit for a weekend. I was only pretending to play guitar..

Our spanish class won the Valentine´s Day card competition! Our card was pretty simple looking compared to others so we were shocked. We won cause of participation, and use of grammar. The inside was a love poem I wrote. Maybe I´ll put it on here and translate it sometime. Our prize was a box of chocolates... gross!

The ring I bought myself on Valentine´s Day shopping with Amy!

My bedside stand, complete with roses I bought myself for Valentine´s day.



Bec, tonight Pablo came into my room and looked at this picture and started singing, ¨Estas enamorada! Estas enamorada!¨ which means ¨You´re in love, you´re in love.¨ And I said, ¨No, that´s my sister.¨ ¨Porque parece como hombre?¨ (Why does she look like a boy?) I told him it was cause he couldn´t see your hair. I had to laugh a little though. Sorry!


Thanks for the roses Jake! HA, syke nah, bought them for myself. : )

This is my little brother. He´s pretty hard core, and I love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment